. Vite Vinifera De Vino's Blog: Thanks Giving Aka Turkey Day...

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanks Giving Aka Turkey Day...


I love the holidays because the TV channels do the marathons.
I have a TV in the store that most of the time is tuned on some soccer channels without audio, but when Thanks Giving Day come around 007 marathon arise I will be watching it; like I'm doing right now sitting in the store helping the few that haven't took care of the wine for tonight (on her Majesty's secret service is on now).

Now you might wonder why I'm talking about James Bond instead of wine, well first of all 007 is fine connoisseur wine and more in general of self indulgence, he do like the finest vintages of Bordeaux and the refined Champagnes (BTW James champagne of choice wasn't the Dom Perignon but, in the Ian Fleming books it was the Bollinger...the producers felt that Dom Perignon was more known to the American audience than the Bollinger).
I'm also deciding what to drink for dinner, so far I choose a Magnum of SighartdDonabaum Riesling 2004 2 bottles of Villa Rinaldi Brut Rose` and a Magnum of Querciabella Chianti Classico Riserva 1998 and a bottle of Port Barros Colheita 1974. We are going to be 6 to 7 people eating my sister's Turkey and I think that should be enough wine to keep us happy. I think the we will be starting with the Villa Rinaldi to put us in the mood, this Brut Rose` is made of 100% Pinot Noir grapes grown in Trentino Alto Adige. Villa Rinaldi is a "negociant" his winery is situated in Veneto in the Soave area, they are one of the first winery that used the Traditional Method and one of the few that use the "degorgement a la volee" to preserve all the freshness and the elegance of the Pinot Noir. The Donabaum Riesling is going to be next one probably paired with some cheeses and some finger food.

Then we will approach the guest of honor the Turkey which is going to be ate with the Querciabella Chianti Classico Riserva 98. I'm actually very curious to see how the wine developed since last time I drank it in 2004. I will keep you posted on that.

Dulcis in fundo (sweet at the end) the Colheita Barros 1974, the winery is Portuguese owned and sited in the Douro region. I met the son of the owner, Felipe, not long ago and tasted with him several older vintages of his port and discovered that not only the wines were elegant and still vibrant but that they were also priced very fairly considered the quality; therefore I started carry their ports :)

It is almost time to go now the day was good, there were more last minute "thanks giver" than I had expected, but before I leave you I would like to extend all my "grazie" to all of you and your families.

Buona Bevuta a Tutti

No comments: